- Data Collection
- Use of Data
- Disclosure of Data
- Storage and Security of Data
- Access and Correction of Data
- Opting out of Marketing and Promotions
- Making a Complaint
Personal information is collected from guests directly registering their contact details onour website or via a registered travel agent registering their customer’s details via a separate portal. It is also collected by guests providing their information when registering for events, requesting information and providing us information related to the tour delivery either online, via telephone or face to face.
The kinds of personal information and sensitive information that we commonly collect and hold from you or about you include: your name, address, phone, fax and mobile numbers, email address, date of birth, nationality, passport details, travel preferences and experiences, travel insurance and travel rewards and loyalty program membership. We also collect health information relating to your current and previous health status, current and previous medical conditions, and your dietary requirements. We also collect personal information, sensitive information and health information from or about your family members, next of kin, emergency contact details and/or other members of your travelling party.
Credit card details are not stored on our servers when you book, or buy travel products through our website or with us directly.
Emerald Waterways engage third party contracted suppliers to store and analyse it’s data for marketing purposed.
Use of Data
Data that has been collected may be used for the following purposes:
- Booking your travel requirements.
- To contact you and other persons in relation to the services provided by Emerald Waterways to you.
- To enable a Emerald Waterways consultant to complete a reservation by a registered travel agent or customer.
- To enable a Emerald Waterways consultant to dispatch a brochure a customer has requested.
- If you select, for Emerald Waterways to communicate with you about new products
- If you select, for Emerald Waterways to communicate with you about any new touring options special offers, competitions, surveys and Emerald Waterways Club News
- For operational purposes to take note of how you use the website, by recording site traffic and observing navigation techniques
- To diagnose problems with our server and administer our website.
- We also use the information we collect to monitor and improve our internal operations, as well as to improve the experience of our web site users.
Disclosure of Data
Emerald Waterways will only use this information to complete reservations on your behalf and to allow our consultants to contact you regarding your travel requirements. This includes providing necessary information to travel agents, airlines, hotels, insurance providers and attraction suppliers.
We do not send unsolicited mail, nor do we sell customers’ names, addresses, e-mail addresses or other personal information to any third party.
We may disclose your personal information to third parties (including government departments and enforcement bodies) where required or permitted by law.
We are affiliated with a range of third party businesses and travel suppliers located overseas. In the course of doing business with you, we will routinely disclose some of your personal information (including sensitive information and health information) to these overseas recipients. Our third party overseas affiliates are located in our Emerald Waterways destinations, including Africa, Asia, Canada, Alaska, the USA, Europe, New Zealand and South America. Their permitted use of such information is limited to providing the required services.
We will only disclose your personal information to overseas recipients where:
- it is necessary to complete the transaction you have entered into
- we believe on reasonable grounds that the overseas recipient is required to deal with your personal information
- it is otherwise permitted by law.
Storage and Security of Data
The information we receive from or about users is stored on systems designed to prevent the loss, misuse, unauthorised access, disclosure and alteration of the information under our control. Your travel agent will have a unique access process to facilitate your booking, and they are responsible for ensuring this access is not provided to others.
Only those Emerald Waterways employees and contracted partners that have a legitimate business purpose for accessing and handling personal information obtained by us are given authorisation to do so.
Access and Correction of Data
We will, on written request, provide you with access to information we hold about you unless there is an exception which applies under the Privacy Act, 1988. Your request for access will be dealt with in a reasonable time and we may recover from you our reasonable expenses incurred.
We take reasonable steps to ensure that the personal information we hold about you is correct and up to date when we collect or use it. If you consider that the information you or others have provided on your behalf may need to be changed, you may change those details on our website (if possible) or contact us and we will take steps to correct it.
Opting out of Marketing and Promotions
The Emerald Waterways web site allows users the option to opt-out of receiving communications from us. Users can choose not to receive information on any new Emerald Waterways touring options and special offers. Opting out of all mail correspondence will also result in Welcome Home packs not being generated and sent. There may be a delay of up to two weeks from the date of opting out to the date of all correspondence ending.
Making a Complaint
We have procedures in place for dealing with complaints and concerns about our practices in relation to the Privacy Act and the APPs. If you have any concerns, please contact us at:
Customer Liaison Department
P: 138 128
A: PO Box 807
Newcastle NSW 2300
and we will respond in writing to your concerns. If we have not been able to resolve your complaint satisfactorily, you may contact the Office of the Australian Privacy Commissioner.